Church of St. John the Evangelist, Gilford, Castle Hill-- Two windows at the Church of St. John the Evangelist in Gilford were recently discovered to be by Harry Clarke. The windows are: St. Catherine of Siena (1922),

Church of St. John the Evangelist, Gilford, Castle Hill

church
Church of St. John the Evangelist, Gilford, Castle Hill, N. Ireland

Two windows at the Church of St. John the Evangelist in Gilford were recently discovered to be by Harry Clarke. The windows are: St. Catherine of Siena (1922), and Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Bernadette (c. 1929). The windows are situated at either side of the altar. The original commission for the windows was funded by William B. Gourley, a renowned lawyer in Paterson, New Jersey, who emigrated to the United States from Gilford at the age of nine (Gilford website).
The discovery was made when research was being conducted for a publication for the sesquicentennial commemoration of the Church of St. John the Evangelist in Gilford. Experts in the stained glass area have confirmed that both windows were created by the Studios, and that Harry Clarke was personally involved in the work on both windows (Gilford website).

References
Website: Click Here

Photos Michael Cullen 2009 and Text by Lucy Costigan 2009

 

 

 

St. John the Evangelist has 2 Harry Clarke windows. Click on images for more information and images.

2 1
St. Catherine of Siena Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Bernadette