Church of St. John the Evangelist, Gilford, Castle Hill-- Two windows at the Church of St. John the Evangelist in Gilford were recently discovered to be by Harry Clarke. The windows are: St. Catherine of Siena (1922)

Church of St. John the Evangelist, Gilford, Castle Hill

view
St. Catherine of Siena
Number of Windows:
2
Number of Lights:
1
Date:
1922
Both windows were created bythe Studios, and that Harry Clarke was personally involved in the work on both windows (Gilford website).
Contact Info:
Google Maps Link
The Honan Chapel of St. Finbarr,
University College Cork,
Western Road,
Cork City
1
St. Catherine of Siena


 

Click Here for other Saints in St. Johns in Gilford
The single light St. Catherine of Siena memorial window was dedicated to Henry and Catherine Gourley. In 1922 Harry had a long period of illness, but on June 7th he worked on a window depicting St. Catherine of Siena.  The window was erected in 1923 (Gilford website).
St. Catherine is depicted kneeling, while Christ walks down a flight of stairs to greet her. She is shown wearing the white habit of St. Dominic and a blue cloak. Christ is resplendent in a scarlet robe surrounded by four angels. Christ holds a crown of thorns in his right hand and a golden crown in his left. The inscription at the end of the window reads:
In loving memory of Henry and Catherine Gourley. Henry 1810-1890. Catherine 1827-1878  

References

Website:
Gilford, Co. Down: Click here

Photos Michael Cullen 2009 and Text by Lucy Costigan 2009