The Angel of peace and hope window was commissioned by Mrs. Lloyd, of Victoria Castle in Killiney. It was a war memorial to her son, Clifford, who was killed in the First World War in January 1915. The window was completed on February 21st 1919 (Harry Clarke Papers, Pocket diary: 1919).
The window has a double border. In the main panels, the magnificent angel holds a golden staff that displays a flag with a pink cross. Her pale face is depicted in profile and her golden red hair trails behind her. A blue and purple halo surrounds her, encircled by a row of white beads of light. A beautiful dove flaps its wings above the angel’s long slender hands. Her golden clad feet stand on a section of land, carpeted with grass and flowers.
The lower left corner of the window depicts the Lloyd family’s coat of arms.
Harry Clarke Papers, MS39202 B: Diaries II, Pocket diary, 1919, National Library of Ireland, Dublin
Photos Michael Cullen 2009 and Text by Lucy Costigan 2009