Click Here for windows originally in Scotland
The Blessed Julie window was originally made for the Sacred Heart Chapel, Convent of Notre Dame, Downhill, Glasgow. Sister Wilfrid had previously commissioned two three-light windows, The Coronation of the Blessed Virgin and The Mother of Sorrows, from Harry between 1922 and 1926. In 1926 she asked Harry to make another two lancets for the convent chapel, the Blessed Julie and St. Wilfrid and St. John Berchmans, and the Presentation of our Lady in the Temple. These windows were planned as war memorials. However, due to Harry’s poor health and Sr. Wilfrid’s sudden death in 1926, when the windows were finally completed they were dedicated to her memory. The local Montessori School donated the Blessed Julie window (Christies website: Lot 87, Sale 6571).
The top panel depicts an angel. The main panels depict Blessed Julie in profile praying, attired in the veil and habit of the Notre Dame sisters. Two children are depicted in the foreground. The lower panel depicts Mary’s visit to her cousin, Elizabeth.
The window was moved to Notre Dame College of Education, Bearsdon, Glasgow, Scotland in 1979. It was sold at Christies of London in King Street during the Irish Sale on May 17th 2002. (Christies website: Lot 87, Sale 6571).
Christies website: Lot 87, Sale 6571: HERE
Text by Lucy Costigan 2009