Click Here for windows originally in Scotland
The three-light window, The Coronation of the Blessed Virgin was commissioned as a war memorial by Sr. Wilfrid and made for the Lady Chapel of the Sacred Heart Chapel, Convent of Notre Dame, Downhill, Glasgow in 1923. The window has seven tracery lights. The window’s background contains colourful blossoms, a silver staircase and a circle of golden beams.
The top panels of the first light depict four angels in robes of gold, purple, green, blue and beige. Below, four saints stand in profile offering gifts to their queen: Saint Anne, Saint Mary Magdalene, Saint Catherine and Saint Mungo.
The top panels of the second light depict three angels attired in cloaks and robes of blue, green and pink. In the main panels Jesus is depicted sitting on a throne. Mary stands below in a beautiful blue cloak, about to receive her crown. Saint Margaret and Saint Andrew of Scotland are in the foreground.
The top panels of the third light depict four angels in robes and cloaks of green, blue, purple and ivory. Below, four saints pay homage to Mary: Saint Joseph, Saint Philomena, Saint Christopher and Saint Patrick.
In 1979 the window was moved to Notre Dame College of Education, Bearsdon, Glasgow, when the nuns left Dowanhill. It was purchased by the Glasgow Museums from the nuns at St. Andrew’s Teaching College, Bearsdon, in 2002.
Text by Lucy Costigan 2009